Representative Overview and Pathway:
The Franklin Basketball Junior programme is set up to ensure all aspects of basketball have a clear and defined pathway focused around the development of the game for all involved.
- Player development at each age and level of play
- Coach development at each stage relevant to level and age of the athletes
- Officials development (referee, manager and score bench) education at each stage and level; and
- Parent education to assist parents in their involvement of the game in and around the sport.
Levels of Basketball:
Basketball activity will be broken into three (3) different levels of development needs.
- Level 1: Hoopsters – Age 5-13 beginners wanting to give it a go.
- Level 2: Mini Ball/Teamsters/High School League– Years 1-6, 7-8 and 9-13. Development and participation with a competitive edge.
- Level 3: Repsters – U11, 13, 15, 17 & 19’s – Advanced development and challenging competition.
Within Level 2 & 3 there will be different divisions (grades), which will aim to ensure that games are competitive and limit the amount of one sided results. These grades will reflect the different levels of ability, with the highest being the Representative Teams (Franklin Reps) and the next step down being the Club Teams/School Teams (played in Teamsters and Secondary Schools and Summer Leagues).
Expectations of Rep Players:
The expectation for players participating in the representative program is to have full committment to their own development as well as their teams, this means attendance at all team trainings (unless discussed prior with coach) is required. Players who are injured or sick are still required to attend trainings in a viewing capacity so that they do not fall behind with team concepts and offences.
Participation in sports other than basketball during the rep season is permitted as long as there are no clashes in team committments, if there is a clash we expect players to put their representative basketball first.
U11/13 Representative Program
Our U11/U13 trials have now taken place and teams have been finalised for the 2019 Easter Tournament. If you are interested in your child being involved in our Junior Rep Program please contact us. Note: Only birth years 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 fall into these age groups. Our U11/13 season has been broken into three blocks where teams will be re-selected to ensure we are fielding our strongest teams throughout the season.
We have broken the year into blocks, each block has a clear focus, cost and competition.
BLOCK 1 - Trial 1 and Easter Tournament
BLOCK 2 - Trial 2 and Zone 1 Tournament (Supercity) (Regionals for U13)
BLOCK 3 - Development Tournaments for 2020 - Rotorua and Summer League's